Rome Federation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Rome Federation

This is a forum for the World Ny Ikariam alliance Rome Federation

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Motion II: The structure of the republic

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Motion II: The structure of the republic Empty
PostSubject: Motion II: The structure of the republic   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 2:25 am

Background:

It has been a long time since the wonderful idea of opening a Senate was brought up, and during this time, the Senate has experienced several ups and downs. Looking back at the history, the only time that the Senate had the opportunity for glaring and affecting the republic was when Motion I, regarding the general's score requirements, and its amendment, were passed, and when the Primus praetor under the authorization of the Senate successfully managed to make a large number of Romans get stronger in defense and attack.
Today, that "revival of the Republic" is our motto and we are all heading towards it, it is clear that without having a firm structure for hearing the voice of people and involving them in observing how their cabinet is governing their Republic, our motto would only be a cover for a dictatorship. Today is when Rome wants to exhibit its glory by having its people involved in legislation, execution, and judiciary affairs. Today is when Romans can feel what they deserve; what none of the other nations in Ny truly have: A REPUBLIC!

---

Proposition I:

It is proposed that the following paragraphs in the constitution' 5th section ...

iv. (a). The Senate consists of 6 Senators, a Princeps Senatus (Chair) Cabinet, Rome3 Cabinet, 3 Senators of SPQR.
(b). All Senate Members are voting members, exception being Alliance Leaders.
(c). In order for the Senate to pass a motion, it must have Qua rem of 75% and the vote must be at least 51%.
(d). The Senate may impeach any member of the War Council and Cabinet with a
vote of 75%. The exception, a Leader of an alliance may not be impeached.
(e) The Leader of the Republic holds the power of Veto on any motion passed.
(f) The Senate Shall promote the rank of Primus Praetor to ensure the wishes of the Senate are followed.
(g) Senators will be elected on the first of every third month, beginning January 1st, 2010. Nominations must be put forward 10 days before election and votes will be counted on the 2nd of the month of the election. If no one is elected for a region, a member will be appointed by Cabinet.
(h) A Princepts Senatus shall be a member elected by the Senate on the same day of the Senate Elections. If no one is chosen, the position shall be appointed by the Leader.

are changed to ...

iv. The Senate.

Structure, authority and responsibilities:
(a). The Senate consists of a maximum of 7 Senators (one of which is the Princeps Senatus (Chair)), and the Alliance Leader or the Tribune Senator.
(b). All Senate Members are voting members, exception being the Leader and the Tribune Senator.
(c). In order for the Senate to approve a motion, it must have Qua rem of 75% and the vote must be at least 51%.
(c.i.) For every proposition (including a new regulation, current regulations modification, request for a judgement, impeachment and establishment of offices, and anything else), a motion has to be announced by a Senator.
(c.i.i.) Every motion has to be announced at the Senate floor (the forum) and the people of Rome must be informed about its announcement (title announcement is enough) through a circular mail.
(c.ii.) Senators may vote "Agree", "Disagree", "Neutral", or "Withdraw".
(c.ii.i.) "Not voting", after the periods defined in paragraph 'c.vi.', is considered as "Neutral". Before that period, "not voting" is not allowed to be interpreted to anything.
(c.iii.) In case of equal votes in any type of Senate voting system, the vote of the Princeps Senatus counts as two.
(c.iv.) The Leader of the Republic and the Tribune Senator (if ordered by the Leader) hold the power of Veto on any motion passed, except for the following exceptions.
(c.iv.i.) Exception: Motion for a referendum for the impeachment of the leader, and motion for the proposed results of the referendum cannot be vetoed by anyone.
(c.iv.ii.) The Tribune Senator cannot veto the impeachment of the Senators.
(c.v.) No discussion among the Senators is official unless it is done at the Senate floor (the forum) and in line with the regulations in the constitution.
(c.vi.) Maximum time limit for having a motion active is one month from the date of announcing the motion, and one week from the date of the latest comment on it.
(c.vi.i.) After the above-mentioned periods, the Qua rem is considered as "met", and therefore the count of votes up to that moment identifies the final result of the motion.
(c.vi.ii.) This applies to every type of motion, without any exceptions.
(d). The Senate is responsible for observing the cabinet and the Leader's actions in governing the Republic. Therefore, Senators of Rome are eligible to officially question the actions of all of the other officers of Rome (including the Leader, the War council, the Cabinet, and the other holders of offices in Rome).
(d.i.) Questions have to be asked both at the Senate floor and as a private message to the relevant official.
(d.ii.) Senate is authorized to judge the answers of the officials, judge their actions, and announce consequences for them.
(d.ii.i) Consequences, rewards, promotions, and penalties announced by the Senate are official and must be obeyed by all of the people of Rome.

Impeachment:
(e). The Senate may impeach any member of the War Council and Cabinet with a vote of 75%.
(e.i.) Exception, the Leader may not be impeached this way. In order to impeach the leader, the Senate can approve a motion for referendum with a vote of 75%. The referendum is official with Qua rem of 75% of all of the people of the Republic, and needs 51% of their votes to be approved.
(e.i.i.) This motion is possible neither to be vetoed by the leader nor by the Tribune Senator.
(e.i.ii.) In case of approving this motion, the Princeps Senatus is responsible for organizing the referendum. The results of the referendum are proposed to the Senate and the Senate vote on the fairness of the voting system makes it official.
(e.i.iii.) In case of impeachment of the founder of Rome, he automatically gains the rank of "Guardian of Rome".
(f.) Any Senator, including the Princeps Senatus and the Tribune Senator, may be impeached by 75% of the rest of the Senators.
(f.i.) This may not be vetoed by the Tribune Senator, but can be vetoed by the Leader.
(f.ii.) The Princeps Senatus, if impeached, becomes a Senator and can run for re-elections of any type with no limitation.
(g) The impeachment of the Senators may occur in two ways: First, by the vote of the Senate (75%) and, second, by the common decision of the Senator, Leader and the Home Secretary.
(g.i.) In case of the first method, the Senator him/herself is also able to vote and appeal against the decision to the Princeps Senatus. In case of unsatisfactory answer form this source, the impeached Senator can appeal against the vote to the Leader.
(g.i.i.) The mentioned steps have to be taken in the stated order.
(g.ii.) In case of the second method, if no consensus was reached, the Leader is the final decision-maker.
(g.iii.) The Princeps Senatus can choose the method.
(g.iv.) The proposition for the impeachment of a Senator and the method for it can be suggested by any Senator at any time.

Positions:
(h) Primus Praetor: The Senate Shall promote the rank of Primus Praetor to ensure the wishes of the Senate are followed. The Primus Praetor gets his/her authority from the Senate and his/her orders must be obeyed by the people of Rome.
(h.i.) Disobedience from the Primus Praetors' orders will be considered as disobedience against the public laws of the Republic.
(h.ii.) The rank of Primus Praetor, after having candidates volunteered, is either elected by the Senate or appointed by the Princeps Senatus.
(h.ii.i.) The decision whether to appoint or elect the Primus Praetor is up to the Princeps Senatus.
(h.iii.) The can be more than one Primus Praetors. Their relational authority may be defined by the Princeps Senatus)
(i) Senators: Senators will be elected on the first of every sixth month, beginning January 1st, 2010. Nominations must be put forward 10 days before election and votes will be counted on the 2nd of the month of the election. If no one is elected for a region, a member will be appointed by the Leader. The leader is responsible for organizing the elections.
(i.i.) The common decision of the leader, the Home Secretary, and the Princep Senatus may cancel the elections and decide on the appointment of the Senators.
(i.i.i) This decision can be made if the three mentioned parties believe that the motivation in the Republic for gaining the Senate seats is too low, or the situation is too critical to have elections.
(i.ii.) A Senator can be elected or appointed for unlimited times in a row.
(i.iii.) A Senate seat is a respected rank and its holder is responsible for bringing the voice of the people to the Senate floor.
(j) A Princepts Senatus is the chairman of the Senate. He/she is the only Senator who has the right to speak for the Senate both internally (to the people, cabinet members, and the leader), and externally (to foreign representatives).
(j.i.) The Princeps Senatus shall be a Senator elected by the Senate on the same day of the Senate Elections. If no one is chosen, the position shall be appointed by the Leader.
(j.i.i.) Electing the Princeps Senatus must be the first decision made by the Senate, and has to be chaired by the Senator with the highest votes.
(j.i.i.i.) In case of appointment instead of elections, the Leader or any Senator that he chooses may chair this election.
(j.ii.) The Princeps Senatus is the only Roman responsible and eligible for announcing the results of the discussions in the Senate. Therefore, no announcement regarding the Senate decisions would be official, unless it is announced by the Princeps Senatus.
(k) The Guardian of Rome is the impeached, resigned or retired founder of the Republic. He gains this position automatically after being impeached, resigned or retired, and this is the responsibility of the Home Secretary to grant him the rank.
(k.i.) The Guardian of Rome is considered as a consultant to the leadership of the Republic, and is not impeachable.
(k.ii.) The Guardian of Rome must have all of the access rights that the leader has, but may only use them if the Republic encounters a dangerous situation.
---

Proposition II:

In the officers' responsibilities:
- A Senators must not report to the Tribune Senator. He or she must only report to the Princeps Senatus (from an administrative point of view), and to the Senate and the people of Rome (from his/her responsibilities point of view).
- The Senate must not report to the Cabinet. The Senate is an independent power, working in parallel with and as a consultant and judge for the Cabinet and the Leader.
- Princeps Senatus only reports to the Senate and the people of Rome (for his/her responsibilities), and to the Leader (for administrative affairs).
- The Leader is the highest power in administrative and executive affairs, but his/her actions are judged by the Senate and the people of Rome, and therefore has to report simultaneously to the Senate and the People of Rome (for his/her responsibilities)

---

If this motion is ...
... APPROVED, then the current paragraphs in the Constitution and the officers' responsibilities will be changed to the proposed paragraphs.
... REJECTED, them the current Constitution and officers' responsibilities will remain as they are today.

---

Analysis of the motion:
This motion is designed so that the power in the Republic is spread more among the officials with a decreased focus on a single office. The people of Rome will be more powerful in affecting their destiny and the Leader and his/her Cabinet are more inspired to perform a more efficient and positive action. Their decisions will be more deliberately decided and using the power of people they will always have in mind that what ever they do is being observed by the Romans. If this motion is rejected, the current constitution may lead the Republic into a dictatorship, where the leader decides on everything and does not answer to any feedback. This may not be an issue today, since our current leader pretty much believes in the principles of a Republic, but the situation may not remain as it is today, forever. Someday, we and our followers may have to live in a Rome which has a leader who cannot control his/her thirst of power. This motion is to ensure that even such a ruler may not be able to proclaim a dictatorship in the land of Romans. In addition, and in line with what has been said so far, this motion clarifies where the Senate is situated in the power structure of the Republic, and defines how it should both work internally and collaborate with the other parties. To sum up, this motion is designed to clearly define the role of Senate and ensure the balance of power in the Roman Republic.

---
Author: Marcus Tullius Cicero, Princeps Senatus of Rome.

Last edited by Cicero on Tue May 11, 2010 10:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Timothii_Magnus
Roman Republic Leader
Roman Republic Leader
Timothii_Magnus

PostSubject: Senate Motion II   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 am

Greetings Senate,

I agree with the Motion in whole, except with the "Impeachment" of the Leader. I do not object because i am the Leader, however, i have seen in the past ( in Iota) how when leadership changes hands, it might be deliberate to destroy the alliance and disband it. We can create a new position called "Leader", so in the event I am impeached, a new leader is elected, but i will still hold the Diplomatic Points to preserve the survival of the Republic from possible third parties who would like to see Rome disbanded.

Other than the section i have mention, I agree with the Motion. Good job Cicero!

Glory to Rome!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motion II: The structure of the republic   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 8:51 am

Ave Senate,

You have a point Tim. I agree with how the enemies may enter the system and destroy it all through changing the leadership. However, on the other hand, we should also ensure that someday, if you are not the leader anymore, for any reason, that leader would not do whatever he/she wants without being observed/judged. So how do u think we should grant this right to the people, while defending them from the threat you mentioned?
A fast suggestion may be to set an exception for you, since you have been the founder of the Republic, and no one else in the future may ever have the rank of founder. We can add as an exception that "(e.i.iii.) In case of impeachment of a leader who has created the alliance, the person has to be ranked "Founder", and this rank is not impeachable by any means.". Then you can define the role of "Founder" based on what exactly you mean by keeping the power in order to defend the republic, with regard to keeping it different from the leader, so that the Republic is safe from going through a dictatorship. We can then add this definition to the constitution, to make it lawful.

Regards,
Cicero
Back to top Go down
Timothii_Magnus
Roman Republic Leader
Roman Republic Leader
Timothii_Magnus

PostSubject: Motion II   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:54 am

Greetings Senate,

Perhaps, the solution; In the event I get impeached, a new leader will be choosen, and my role would simply become the Guardian of Rome. In essence, i would act as a Governor-General ( as in the Canadian Government).

The role i would play would be to preserve the Republic and act as an assistant to the new leader.

Thoughts?

Glory to Rome!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motion II: The structure of the republic   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 am

Ave Senate,

Your idea sounds reasonable to me. In order for us to have it in the constitution and the Statement of Officers' Responsibilities, we would need more elaboration on the "Guardian of Rome"'s responsibilities and authorities. Can you please elaborate on that?

Glory to Rome,
Marcus Tullius Cicero, Princeps Senatus
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Well... My opinion is...   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:12 am

I think we need more efficient laws and system... My allies need to be paid more attetion to...
Beside laws, systems we need more care... Just as I has said, it can be more easier to communite with each other when you are calm and concerned about it~
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motion II: The structure of the republic   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:14 am

So, what is your vote for this motion? Agree, disagree or any comments to alter any part?

/Cicero
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: My opinion!   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptySun May 02, 2010 8:02 am

OK! I mean, we should have more friendship with each other rather than laws and orders... I think Ikariam is after all a game... We hope to gain joy from it... So when I firstly join in this alliance I found no one is active... On the contrary those wolves have more motivation... It 's all... I hope I can go against...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motion II: The structure of the republic   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyWed May 05, 2010 3:07 am

Alright, I have revised the Motion with regard to the Leader's comments.

Ideas?

/Cicero
Back to top Go down
Timothii_Magnus
Roman Republic Leader
Roman Republic Leader
Timothii_Magnus

PostSubject: "Friendship rather than Laws"   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyWed May 05, 2010 5:49 am

Greetings Senate,

In response to the statement "Friendship rather than Laws", i need to be clear. Although Friendships are nessessary and convienent, Laws are required to ensure that 'we' as a Republic are consistent and fair. Furthermore, The purpose of the Senate is look that ways to improve the Republic. If a Senator wishes to make changes, then use the Senate and make a proper motion with your suggestion.

Glory to Rome!
Back to top Go down
Timothii_Magnus
Roman Republic Leader
Roman Republic Leader
Timothii_Magnus

PostSubject: Motion II   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptySun May 09, 2010 8:13 am

In regards to the Impeachment of the Leader and the responsiblilites of the Gaurdian of Rome, the Motion laid out is acceptable. I support this Motion.
Back to top Go down
Marcus_Magnus
Roman Senator
Roman Senator
Marcus_Magnus

PostSubject: Senate Motion II   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptySun May 09, 2010 8:17 am

I support the Motion.
Back to top Go down
Marcus_Magnus
Roman Senator
Roman Senator
Marcus_Magnus

PostSubject: Motion II   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:49 am

So, that is 3 votes yes, 1 vote no. Motion Passed??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motion II: The structure of the republic   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyMon May 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Not yet! Timothi_Magnus is not a Senator, and thus his vote doesn't count. His opinions can only be taken for consulting, but he can veto the motions.
Currently we are 5 Senators, out of which 3 should vote yes for it to be approved.
So far we have:
Yes: Cicero, Marcus Magnus
No: Dyz_Donyzio
Not voted yet: Kilroy, MAS

Papilhion has resigned from his seat, but not officially demoted in the alliance page yet.
Now that we still do not have any specific system for the Senate, we should stick to the common sense, i.e. 50%+.

Regards,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motion II: The structure of the republic   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptyTue May 11, 2010 10:51 am

Greetings Senate,

I have made a few last minute changes to the motion. They are very minor and I doubt that they bring up any objections.
The following paragraphs are changed: (c.ii.),
and the following paragraphs are added: (c.ii.i.), (c.vi.), (c.vi.i.) and (c.vi.ii.)

The purpose is to save the Senate's time in the future from this big problem that we faced for approving the current motion.

I have set a deadline for voting on this motion on Friday, May 14. If by that time the 2 remaining Senators don't vote, I will consider their votes as "Neutral" and announce the approval of this motion.

Still, it would be great if you could take a look at the additions/revisions and post if you have any concerns about them before that deadline. Otherwise your current vote will count.

Glory to Rome,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Motion II - Final results   Motion II: The structure of the republic EmptySat May 22, 2010 6:31 am

Greetings Senate,

I hereby take the honor to officially announce the approval of the second motion in the Senate of Rome, proposed on April 19, 2010. The details of the voting are as follows:

- Positive votes: 2 (Cicero and Marcus_Magnus)
- Negative votes: 1 (Dyz-Donizyo)
- Neutral votes: 2 (Kilroy and MAS)

Through this announcement, the Home Secretary becomes responsible for making the proper changes to the constitution and officers' responsibilities description within a week. I, as the Princeps Senatus, am responsible for following this matter up and ensuring that he has made the changes correctly.

Congratulations to all of you for taking another step towards realizing the Republic.

Glory to Rome,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motion II: The structure of the republic   Motion II: The structure of the republic Empty

Back to top Go down

Motion II: The structure of the republic
Page 1 of 1